The Wildezine

The real meaning and power of Logic’s 1-800-273-8255

Peter Byhouwer, Literary Magazine Coordinator

When listeners press the play button for Logic’s single 1-800-273-8255 featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid, the song has a very beautiful and dramatic intro. As Logic starts singing the first chorus, he says, “I don’t want to be alive. I just want to die today.” Listeners might be taken aback, shocked at this statement. If they keep listening, the audience realizes that Logic is talking to someone on the phone, sounding clearly depressed, as the other person tries to calm him down. 

In the song, an individual is suicidal and calls the number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline–the title of the song. The first chorus of the song is in the voice of the individual as he discusses what is going through his head and why he wants to kill himself. The second chorus is from the point of view of the lifeline specialist on the other end of the phone call. Later in the song,  the specialist tells the person all the reasons why they should not commit suicide and all the reasons why they should be alive. The third chorus is the person saying “I finally want to be alive. I don’t want to die today.” This is again from the point of view of the caller saying how he feels now that he has called the lifeline and knows that people care about him and that he is not alone.

According to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, Logic’s song has had tangible, statistically significant impacts. Some examples:

• “On the day of the song release (April 28, 2017), the LIfeline received the second highest daily call volume in its history… over 4,573 calls that day, an increase of 27% when compared to the average volume on the same day of the week for the previous 3 weeks.”
  • “On August 28, 2017,” the day following Logic’s performance of the song on the MTV Video Music Awards, the Lifeline received 5,041 calls.”
  • “On Twitter, Lifeline had more over 1 million impressions in the 5-day period after the release.
  • “Several crisis centers report that callers mentioned Logic’s song after its release. A third of those reported callers in May 2017 were in emotional distress or shared thoughts of suicide.”

This song has also has made a big impact on my life. Though I have never openly discussed this before, I am someone that suffers from depression and while I have never had suicidal thoughts, this song got me through a lot of tough times. Whenever I did poorly on a test or just had a bad day, I listened to this song and felt better afterwards. It made me appreciate all the blessings in my life, especially the little ones, a whole lot more.

1 Comment

One Response to “The real meaning and power of Logic’s 1-800-273-8255”

1. Kennedy Reid on December 11th, 2017 11:08 am

I just want to say deeply that this song is so powerful and you piece really shows how important music can impact our generation today. Logic really put the sense of how helpful a support line can be and dealing with what’s going on today it really speaks and you piece just brings the problem out more and that’s important because we just can’t step over it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The real meaning and power of Logic’s 1-800-273-8255

Opinion

Baby it’s Cold Outside: The Predator’s Anthem

Opinion

Is Intersession Really For All?

Opinion

The Jump in Shootings and Violence and its Relation to Mental Illness

Opinion

The True Horror in Horror Movies: Lack of Creativity

Local News

ISL to PVAC: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Opinion

Good Grades and Car Insurance Rates

Opinion

Don’t Get Hurt: Modern Healthcare

Local News

13th and What American History Students Don’t Get To Learn

Opinion

Why It’s Hard to be a Teenager in 2017

Local News

A Review of the Junior Symposium

The student news site of Sandy Spring Friends School