The Wildezine

Why Moms are the Real MVP

Peter Byhouwer, Literary Magazine Coordinator

Many of us watched the Olympics this February. We saw athletes of all backgrounds who have risen to the top of their sport. In addition to the individual grit these athletes showcased over the course of their lives, their success can be attributed to the help of a coach, a parent, a dad or a mom. Olympic athletes aren’t the only ones with great moms. Terrific parents and terrific moms are all around us, especially at a school like SSFS.

I spoke to one of my peers, Alex Polón, who is an outstanding academic scholar and athlete. I asked her to tell me the first three words that come to mind when she thinks of her mother and the first one that came to mind was “comfort.” Alex explained that her mother is her “main confidante – the first person I go to for almost anything.” Alex’s second word was “inspiration.”  Her mom inspires her because she is “very well established in her job,” and takes on the “jobs of mother,… impressive occupational therapist and wife.” Alex also told me that “women in today’s day and age are forced to carry such important roles” and that her mother “does it with such ease.” Alex explained, “she inspires me to reach my personal and professional goals.” The third word she chose for her mother was “warmth.” Alex described her mother’s warmth as “having to do with how loving she is.”

My mother is undoubtedly the most important person in my life. She has continually encouraged me to be the best I can be, academically and athletically. I am not always the most explicit with expressing my emotions but my mom is able to notice when I’m feeling sad or upset without my saying anything. She’s got my back at the times I need her the most and is always the first person to pick me back up when I stumble. Because of her, I’ve learned how struggles and disappointments make me stronger. My mother is the strongest person I know and I honestly do not know where I would be without her.

Below is a video that show how amazing and important moms are in ones life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why Moms are the Real MVP”

1. Scout Crooke on March 18th, 2018 4:23 pm

I greatly agree with this article because I also do not know where I would be today without my moms. They are always there to help me and provide me with comfort and advise. I also think that Olympic athletes are amazing and the amount of work they all did to get to the Olympics is outstanding. I am sure many of their parents are extremely proud of them. Also, the attached video that shows how important moms are in our lives is so heart-warming and it almost made me cry because it evoked my emotions so much.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

Strides Toward a Cashless Society and its Implications

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

“Green” Means Go

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

What Peoples Favorite Things About SSFS Are (Video)

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

POTS 101 – Everything you need to know!

• Local News

Torch Isn’t Doing What You Think They Are!

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

Supreme Tips to Surviving High School

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

The “Starving Artist” Dilemma

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

What it’s Like Being a Lifer at Sandy Spring

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

How does Quakerism Manifest Itself in a Sandy Spring Education?

• Why Moms are the Real MVP

Local News

A Reflection, a Thank You, and a Farewell

The student news site of Sandy Spring Friends School
Why Moms are the Real MVP