Should Huck Finn be Banned in Schools?

Amelia Reuben, Staff Writer

Ernest Hemingway once said that “All American literature begins with the opening paragraph of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.” Nevertheless, as is often times with literature and history, Huck Finn has proven itself a contentious issue between teachers, students and parents alike. Since it was published, banning The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn has been widely and frequently debated. The question of whether to ban the novel is a sensitive subject for people on both sides of the issue to this day.

Written in 1885, Huckleberry Finn is a story about the friendship between a white boy, Huck and a slave, Jim, and how their mutual plight as runaways creates a bond that challenges and marginalizes “pre civil war” norms.

Proponents of the ban argue that Huck Finn should be banned because of its liberal use of the n-word and the time period the book is set in. “I think Huck Finn could make some students uncomfortable in the classroom so I understand why people might want to ban it…it’s a piece of history we don’t want to repeat,” said Gillian Ford. Another Quaker school, Friends Central School decided not to teach the book anymore. Art Hall, the school’s principal explained  that they had “come to the conclusion that the community costs of reading this book in 11th grade outweigh the literary benefits.” At a time when racial slurs are seen as rightly unacceptable, to some, Huck Finn, is a step back in time.

Opponents of banning the book argue that the book is a classic and that it holds historical value that all students should be aware of. “I think Huck Finn is possibly the great American novel because it teaches us about our past, it teaches us about race which many have called the great american sin and it shows the development of American literature,” said Dave Kahn.

In addition to Huck Finn being a classic, many opponents don’t find the book racist because of the friendship Huck and Jim develop. “I think the book itself is actually anti-racist. I think Twain is trying to help readers understand that slavery is immoral and that Huck and Jim are equal. The fact that the characters have trouble understanding this means we should all work hard to understand it,” said Ariel Vorhees.

Despite the differences in opinion that both sides have, one thing they both agree on is the importance of doing what’s best for the students. Consensus on what that looks like has yet to be reached.