Inside the Mind of First Year Teachers

Andrew Gray, Staff Writer

New teachers at SSFS have the challenging task of adjusting to a new school. They may have a difficult time adapting to the unique lifestyle of the Sandy Spring Friends School community. James Robb and Jeremy Adkins are in their first years at SSFS. James teaches Spanish and Intermediate French and Jeremy teaches World History I and II. Both are members of the 9th grade team. I asked James and Jeremy several questions and wanted to share their answers.

What brought you to SSFS?

James: “I wanted to change schools, particularly seeking the opportunity to teach both Spanish and French and to teach high school.”

Jeremy: “I was attracted to SSFS due to their mission of implementing a value-based education combined with the idea of community building. I believe that education is the development of the individual not just as a student, but as a person, too. Given my ties to the US Army and the Jesuit network of education, SSFS fits right in with my ideals and beliefs.”

Both Jeremy and James both were seeking change when deciding to come to SSFS. Here at SSFS, we believe that everyone is of the same value and a vast majority of the teachers want to help you grow as a student and as a person.

What was the hardest part of your first year at SSFS?

James: “Adjusting to full-time academic teaching. Previously I had had two Spanish classes and two sports classes.”

Jeremy: “The hardest part of my first year was learning the ropes and figuring out how to be a part of the community. As an outsider integrated into two teams comprised of primarily SSFS graduates, it took me awhile to figure out what it means to be a member of the community.”

What do you think makes SSFS special or different from other schools?

James: “The focus on social issues. There are problems here like anywhere else, but I think the students’ desire to address these problems and willingness to put in effort to solve them on our campus and elsewhere makes us different.”

Jeremy: “SSFS is special in the sense that most days my job does not feel like a job. It’s my favorite hobby that just also happens to be my job.”