Supreme Tips to Surviving High School

Supreme Tips to Surviving High School

Carlton "El Jefe" Tucker, Staff Writer

High school is one of the most complex transitions in a teen’s life. Your body and mind are developing drastically. All the while, you are making decisions that will have significant impacts on your future. Whether it’s socially or academically, high school is the place where you discover who you truly are and the path you want to take into the future. With that amount of pressure comes the stress of how to balance the mystery of life. Here are a few answers to the most stressful questions about entering high school:

How do I make new friends?

The most important part of high school is the social interactions you have with people, and the lifelong relationships you make there. Making new friends can be one of the hardest things to do while in high school. The best thing to do is to go to social spaces and try to start having small conversations with people, especially people who seem to have similarities to yourself, whether that’s clothes, hair, or anything else. It’s crucial to do this early because, I assure you, you’re not the only one that feels lost. Get out there and explore!

Should I go to school dances?

One of the biggest mistakes you can make while in high school is missing a school dance. Not only are they the best places to socialize, but most of the time they provide money to a fund that benefits the student body. “Definitely take advantage (of school dances),” says SSFS junior, Jane Mikkelson. You have a limited amount of them so go, have fun, and make the most out of something that won’t last forever.

When do grades matter?

Grades are a big part of high school. Unfortunately balancing your social life and extracurriculars while trying to achieve the best grades is extremely stressful. The myth is that grades don’t matter until sophomore year, however, that’s not the case. According to college counselor, Candice Ashton, “It is much easier to start off strong, than to start later and try to maintain it.” You should always try your best because having good grades will always be beneficial to you.

When should you start thinking about college?

Some people know what college they are going to the day they are born, while others scramble the day before May 1st, trying to make a decision on what they want to do in life. Thinking about college is difficult and no one really knows when it’s best to start thinking. You should definitely be thinking about college your freshman year. However, it doesn’t have to be specifics. You don’t have to start collecting names of schools until sophomore year and you don’t have to narrow that list down until junior year. Candice explains, “It is more about yourself and learning who you are, the key to finding the right college is knowing what will make you happy.” Long story short, don’t pick a school because they are the top school in the country. Pick the school that’s the best fit for you.

What classes should I take?

This is the most underrated question people ask when entering high school. The best thing you can do is go down the path that is right for you, not for your mom, dad, sister, brother, uncle, etc. Some general courses you definitely you should consider are: World Literature, to broaden the horizons of what you read; a foreign language because it makes you a more rounded person; and US History and Government, to gain background knowledge of the government you are entering very soon. The most important course to take in high school by far is Finance. It is so important to know how to balance your finances once you go into the adult world, whether that’s in the form of paychecks, W-2, or other forms of payment. It is a key course to being a financially successful person.