The student news site of Sandy Spring Friends School

The Wildezine

AP Exams: Finally Over

Jeremy Mednik, Staff Writer

The end of May is approaching and for many students a huge weight has just been lifted off their shoulders. Advanced Placement (AP) exams are finally over and teachers are making it much easier for students to relax and enjoy the rest of the school year.

Towards the end of the previous academic year, students signed up for the AP courses of their choosing. For most of the first semester, students were not worried about taking the exam because it was so far away. They relaxed, did their homework, took their practice tests, and saw teachers when they needed help, not thinking too much about the final exams that were looming in May. However, a month before the exams saw an overwhelming feeling of anxiety kick in for most students. With very little time remaining, students crammed to pass their exams. Practice books were purchased, late nights were spent studying, and social connections to the outside world were largely cut off.

Students prepared in numerous ways, including forming studying groups. In the last few weeks before the exams, the Beestro and library were full of scholars quizzing each other on the relevant material. This was an ideal method for many students because it allowed them to hang out with friends and make the tests feel a little less stressful. Another way to feel better prepared was to buy a review book. With the help of Amazon Prime, high schoolers bought books such as Barron’s, Princeton Review, and Crash Course (all delivered in two days, of course) in order to learn all the key facts. These books summarized the material taught by teachers and made the material easy to read. This was helpful because it allowed students to highlight important information and go back later to re-learn it.  Another method, which is essential for almost everyone, was to thoroughly review class notes. Depending on the legibility of the student’s handwriting, this method very well could have been the most impactful on a student’s final test score. These notes may have included incredibly detailed concepts and helped students retain information. With little time to study for a test with a potentially large impact, high schoolers all across campus relied on these methods to pass their exams.

Taking the exam was the real nightmare. Sometimes during the three hours of test taking, the only hope left for some students was passing with a three and understanding the AP memes on twitter the next day.  After only completing the multiple choice, the free response felt like it would take an eternity to complete. Eventually, the exam was finished! Walking out of the library felt like Atlas hurling the earth to his side. The satisfaction of completing the exam meant that a huge task in one’s life had been successfully checked off.

After the exams, students have found that their classes are easier. The daily homework load has significantly diminished. This left high schoolers with time to relax and less stress about school. Teachers have decided to make classwork more lax by assigning small projects or, occasionally, showing popular movies. Although the work leading up to the AP exam was rough, the exhilaration of finishing made the decision to take such difficult classes well worth it.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “AP Exams: Finally Over”

1. Sochibeze Akaneme on May 25th, 2017 10:55 am

The period in which I took AP exams was a really stressful time of my life because not only was I physically stressed by staying up late at night studying, but I was also mentally stressed as I was worried I was not prepared enough and if I was going to get a good score on the tests. Although, after the exams were over, I felt a huge sense of relief which was greater than the stress I felt before the exams. This was because it felt like a huge burden had been taking off my shoulders after the exams were over. I totally agree with this article because it accurately describes how I felt before and after taking the exams.

[Reply]

2. Haining Gao on May 30th, 2017 10:29 am

I totally agree with this article. I took three AP exams this year, but I only started to review for them in May. The last month before the exam week was so stressful. I almost stayed up late for every day. Nonetheless, on the last Friday, after I finished my AP Micro Economics, I felt a huge relief from the school. Although I still have SAT and final exams in June, I don’t fell anymore stress to me. However, I will suggest people who will take AP exams next year that you should get started to prepare for exams as early as you can. So you can easily face them in May.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

How Team Sports Bridge the Domestic-International Divide

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

Peer Counselors at SSFS: Who We Are and What We Do

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

What is Going on with Developmental Disabilities?

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

What Should the Community Do When Students Use Offensive Language?

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

Beyond The Bubble

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

Being a New Student at SSFS

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

National and Religious Diversity at SSFS

• Local News

9/22 Breaking Gnus Podcast

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

Inside the Business World

• AP Exams: Finally Over

Local News

Bidding Farewell to Barry Merritt

AP Exams: Finally Over