Sandy Spring Friends School Explores Diversity

Brittany Wright, Staff Writer

Sandy Spring Friends School offers many ways to explore diversity. Among these opportunities are the “Let’s Talk About Race” club, the Black Girls’ Affinity Group, and the course “Race, Gender, and Nationality,” taught by English teacher Miriam Rock.  Senior Davy Adise started a new club this year called “Let’s Talk About Race” in order to have a designated safe space to talk about race. Davy’s goal for the club is to create a culture at Sandy Spring of addressing  issues of race, giving practical tools for application in real world situations, and keeping diversity in the minds of students. The club had an exciting start, according to Davy, and he’s hoping to finish off the year with a group project.

As for the “Black Girls’ Affinity Group,” Hannah and Ioie, two girls who are a part of this affinity group, spoke about and stressed the importance of  having a group to console others who have similar insecurities as they do, insecurities that come with being young Black women in our culture. They are learning that there is strength in numbers, which has helped them gain confidence as Black women when addressing issues of importance to them.  

Maya Carolina spoke about the “Race, Gender, and Nationality”  English class. She originally intended to join because she had an interest in all three topics. She spoke about how she has learned more about different races already and has expanded her knowledge and understanding of gender and nationality. Although school books can be extremely boring and not attention grabbing, Maya says that Miriam Rock has chosen fascinating and interesting books to read.

On top of this, a new affinity group is in the works to support the small Latina population of Sandy Spring Friends School.  It should take action at the end of November. All of these groups show the student body’s interest in race relations, and Sandy Spring Friends School has provided a safe environment to expand students’ understanding of race and navigate issues of race.