Quarantine Journals: A Creative Reflection

Dankwa Nnoma-Addison, Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 10.

12:15 a.m.

The last day of school.

Normal thing to say, but during an abnormal time.

I’m ending this school year in quarantine, in my house.

I, along with millions of students, was not able to return to campus for the rest of this year, because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Schools have closed, and work is being done online.

I worked, studied and learned all from a makeshift office in my own home.

I had to find new ways of doing things, and make them work.

I never anticipated experiencing a situation like this, but it has taught me many lessons and gave me a chance to reexamine my life and mindset, and grow as a person.

I found that I have really been thinking about my character and my habits more often; who I am.

Being quarantined at home has made me examine myself in a way I had not done before.

If anything, I should be thankful, as this change to a self-sustaining lifestyle has given me a little bit of preparation for college.

Sandy Spring has done a great job transitioning from school in real-time to virtual school, in my opinion. Though the feeling is not the same, Zoom calls and submitting homework through Google Classroom feels somewhat like discussion-based classes and handing in assignments.

I credit the school for transitioning so well, even though this system is new and everybody is learning as they go along.

I do miss doing a lot of things, however. I miss my lacrosse season that got cancelled. I miss anticipating what random topic we would be debating in Anne’s English class each day. I miss the PAC, and sitting in it for Meeting For Worship and assemblies. I miss my friends, seeing them and talking to them face-to-face.

I am not doubtful, however, that I will experience those things again. From what I’ve heard, we might be on campus in some capacity by the fall.

I look forward to going back to school, where I have spent most of my life. I look forward to the day not when we go back to life as normal, but when we experience our new normal.