The Wildezine

Is Your Voice Really Heard When Marching?

Back to Article
Back to Article

AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

AP

AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

AP

AP

AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

Ayo Omokanwaye, Staff Writer

A plethora of people, especially at Sandy Spring Friends School, go on marches or have marched for numerous reasons. Like many others, I have never gone marching. Have you ever wondered why they do it or what they can accomplish?

Why march?
People march for many different reasons, whether it be personal or because they feel they voices are not being heard. I personally think that marching is not worth it since it usually will not immediately solve any issue and takes a lot of effort. Bob Hoch, for example, was part of “an anti-war effort during Vietnam and believed the war to be immoral.” He wanted to do everything in his power to stop the war because he truly thought it was wrong. I also interviewed SSFS junior Seth Gorton and he said that marches can be viewed as moments where “the public is coming together to support a cause a fight something.” He seems to gain hope when being in this type of environment. A ton of people do not march, but other people who do have their own unique reasons for doing so.

Is it a good way to protest?
I have mixed opinions on this topic. I think there many better ways to protest but it really depends on what you are marching for. Bob Hoch had a similar opinion, explaining, “Sometimes it takes extreme measures to get the attention of people.” He is essentially saying that he uses it as a last resort if options are limited. Generally speaking when people are passionate about change, they will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Seth Gorton was on the other side of the spectrum and said, “It is not really a good way to protest” and that it doesn’t always produce the desired results. He clearly does not think marching is effective.

Pros and Cons
Marching is usually perceived as very beneficial. Some benefits include persuading the government or even more people to join you. Bob Hoch claims “It’s a way to show the government they do not have the support of the people.” Seth Gorton said, “I like to travel and it is good way to meet people with similar beliefs and passions.. Both of them show that feels empower to be surrounded by people who share similar beliefs.
Many people may think marching is very beneficial to the people but it has its negative side too. I can see marching as being very stressful and dangerous. Seth Gorton said, “It gives a sense of false hope. The power is still in hands of government so it leaves you with a sort of sour after-taste.” This relates to the fact that he does not believe marching to be as effective as many portray to be.

Interesting Experiences
When you go on marching, almost anything can happen. I have heard many stories about people’s marching experiences including getting great changes to meet famous people and legends like Bernie Sanders. Bob Hoch is very familiar with the possibility of getting beaten or arrested. Marching is it’s own universe and, depending the person, they experience different parts of it.

About the Writer
Ayo Omokanwaye, Staff Writer

Greetings. My name is Ayo. This is my fourth year at Sandy Spring Friends School and I gladly be joining this year's wildezine staff. I am a peer counselor...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Is Your Voice Really Heard When Marching?”

1. Sarah F. on May 24th, 2018 5:56 pm

I think you made a lot of good points about how marching gives people hope and brings people together, but that there are downsides to it as well. I liked how you expressed more than one point of view in this article, because it makes the reader think.
    I think that marching is a good way to protest. I think that it’s impacts are usually less direct and than we might expect, but I think that when enough people are passionate, marches inspire change. While marching definitely takes a lot of time and energy, when a group of strangers put in that time and energy together, they can accomplish something.

2. Fatima Jallow on May 30th, 2018 6:18 pm

You can personally think that marching is not worth it since it usually won’t immediately solve any issue and takes a lot of effort, but what does sitting down and being silent do? You win or you lose by getting up to march, but you simply just lose sitting down and being silent. Big things ALWAYS start off somewhere, which is initially from a small place. Even if things don’t change from you marching, it’s the thought of everyone coming together. They don’t have do anything as a result of the march, but they’ll definitely hear us.

• Is Your Voice Really Heard When Marching?

LOCAL NEWS

Combatting the criminalization of substance use

OPINION

Communication 101: Does YELLING do the trick?

A MODEST PROPOSAL

A Modest Proposal

OPINION

The Problem With Materialism

OPINION

Life Lessons from Chess

A MODEST PROPOSAL

A Modest Proposal: The State of Africa

OPINION

Don’t Get Burned in The Melting Pot

OPINION

Excelsior! The Life and Legacy of Marvel Legend Stan Lee

OPINION

“Lion” A Movie Review

OPINION

What? There is a college shortcut in China!

The student news site of Sandy Spring Friends School