Who Needs A Hero?

https://goo.gl/images/otRkdj

https://goo.gl/images/otRkdj

Aron Bishop, Staff Writer

“Who need a hero? (hero)

You need a hero, look in the mirror, there go your hero

Who on the front lines at ground zero? (hero)”

Lyrics from the song, ‘Pray for Me’ by Kendrick Lamar, The ‘Weeknd’

Who Needs A Hero?

Who is your hero? After the Affinity Group saw the movie Black Panther, I began to think about who my hero is. What defines a hero from an ordinary person? Is a hero/heroine someone that leaps tall buildings in a single bound like Superman? Or does a hero possess a super healing skill like medical ninja Sakura from the Naruto series?  Who should, and can, young men and women admire today, given the current culture of truth, justice and the American way? In a day and time where being cynical is applauded and where tearing down icons prevails more than creating new ones, deciphering heroes has become harder than ever.

Recently, the media has revealed that some people popularly considered to be heroes or modern-day role models have been less than stellar. The list ranged from movie moguls and actors to pro-democracy campaigners.  Yesterday’s giants have become today’s dwarfs! All over, people are failing to represent and be exemplary figures for kids. What can, and should we students learn from all of this and how and who should we call a role model or hero?

The first lesson I gleaned from the media revelations is one strike and you’re out. Second, we must understand that if we are all here on this earth it is for a purpose, we have something to learn and that few of us are close to perfection.  Here’s some food for thought.

What are the positive and admirable qualities of a modern-day hero. ( Notice, I didn’t say ‘good’? )

What is the litmus test that should be employed when we call someone a ‘hero’? This is what I think: A hero should be consistent, measured in their approach to life and people, intelligent, courageous yet caring… kind of like Killmonger.