Central Park 5

A Rap Performed at the MLK Assembly 2017

Justin LaRoc, MLK Assembly 2017 Performer

Disclaimer: This piece was performed for the MLK Assembly in January 2017. The student who wrote and performed the piece requested that the original language be preserved. In honor of their artistic vision and in recognition of the importance of not censoring student voices, we have preserved all of the language, including the usage of racially sensitive words. We ask you to be respectful of language and of the artists’ vision.

Scenes from Juice was our reality, We spoke casually of casualties, Like we ain’t even lose thing, Just a few wild teens, Maneuvering these New York Streets, We never thought our after-hour antics would involve police, Wilding in central park, Acting reckless after dark, Living in the moment, Never asked ourselves if this was smart, And we were latchkey kids, We did what we want, Cuz Momma worked them late hours to keep the lights on, Hurling stones at cabs and jacking anyone who passed, If momma knew what I was up to, She would whoop my ass, And looking back on things I wish she had, apologies could never turn the hands of time back, Now the cops want some answers that I don’t have, They asking me about a brutal rape, That happened close to where I stay, They’re telling me to take the blame because i’ll never beat this case, They’re telling me there’s witnesses but I ain’t even do this shit,

Interrogations, Theories and Speculation, They said it was a wrap, They tried to manipulate me, They just trynna close the case but first they need a rapist, They really wanna close the case but first they need some rapists, Outta harlem, well, me and my partners, They seen some black kids after dark and made us targets, They just trynna close the case but first they need a rapist, They really wanna close the case but first they need some rapists,

Feds asking bout a shawd that was violated, I be wilding with the homies, but I’m not a rapist, They told me that they had their doubts, but they believe me now, But since the others said they saw me there’s just no way out, Attorney trifling, He could give damn about about my case, He’s too complacent cuz he’s getting paid either way, They told me cop plea, and live to see another day, The more you fight, the longer that they put your ass away, Plead Guilty, The US justice system’s, A young niggaz achilles, They hurt my people severely, I took the heat, They threw my ass in jail, I got a dime, I served my bid but I ain’t do too well, And all my thoughts were dark as hell when I was in that cell, But in their eyes I’m just a nigga who was born to fail, In their eyes I’m just a nigga who was born to fail, In their eyes I’m just a nigga that was born to fail,