Can You Dig Pink?

Margaret Rosser

The girls decked out in pink before the big game.

Zain Bamji, Sports Writer

Dig Pink! is an idea created by the Side-Out Foundation with the sole purpose of fighting breast cancer. Every year, tens of thousands of Volleyball teams across the country participate in Dig Pink! matches as a way to raise not only awareness in their school community about breast cancer but also money to donate to cancer research. Their strategy of raising awareness for breast cancer through athletic competition has been very successful and has even reached the Sandy Spring Friends School community.

On October 16th, the SSFS women’s volleyball team played in their annual Dig Pink! match against ­­­­­­­­­­­­Glenelg Country School. There was tension in the air as the two teams warmed up for the match. Finally, the first serve was hit and the game had begun. Even though our girls lost the first and third games, they fought hard and went on to win the second and fourth games taking them into the final 5th game. As the points went back and forth, the lead changing every few minutes, the crowd’s energy began to rise in anticipation of the last point. The crowd eagerly watched as the ball flew over the net and landed on Glenelg’s side, scoring the final point. Sandy Springers erupted as the final buzzer sounded signaling the end of the match and a victory for SSFS.

As the teams walked by, congratulating each other on a good match, the crowd cheered and clapped in a whirlwind of excitement and satisfaction. This win, while satisfying was much bigger than just another win. This win was for the hundreds of thousands of people in the world who are in the fight against breast cancer.

The Dig Pink! games and their movement have caught the SSFS community by storm as students and faculty alike flooded into the stands to watch the match. This tradition is something people look forward to every season and will hopefully continue to be in the community for years to come.