The New Upper School Building and The SSFS Community

Jane Finley, Staff Writer

Sandy Spring Friends School, as PK-12 school has the Lower, Upper, and Middle Schools all on one campus. On our campus there are three different layouts shown in each of these divisions. The Lower School has three buildings that are very close together. The Walbrooke-Breiling Lower School building, which has classrooms for Pre-K through 3rd grade, a Modular, which has classrooms and offices, and Tanglewood which has 4th and 5th grade classrooms and the Lower School Library. The Middle School has one building. The Upper School uses five buildings: Yarnall, The Yarnall Modulars, Moore Hall, Westview, and Hartshorne.

Which of these layouts is best for students–spread out, close together, or a single building? Currently the school is in the process of building a single Upper School building, the new Upper School building has been highly anticipated by the Sandy Spring Friends School community for years. How do students feel about the idea of the building? Amelia Reubens, a junior new to SSFS, says she is not excited about it. “Even though it won’t affect me, one of the reasons I came to Sandy Spring was because of the campus, it’s my favorite part, because I came from a school that was in one building.” But what is going on with the building and how will it change our school environment?

Scott Carneal is one of three faculty members of the Upper School Building Committee, along with Eduordo Polón and Angela Colegrove. He says that he has been on the committee for about six years, but things didn’t really start happening until last May. An architect has drawn up plans, and the school has hired a construction manager in December to help get exact cost estimates. Scott says that right now the committee is in the “silent fundraising” phase and the Architect is beginning to meet with Upper School faculty by department. Hopefully, construction will start in January 2018, and be done in early 2019. There is a possibility that the building may be used, even before completion.

How will the building affect our community? Scott says that most of the buildings used for classroom space scattered across campus may be put to other uses. The Modulars will be gone, but “Kids will still be walking around outside.” The building will hopefully unite the Upper School, while also keeping the campus atmosphere. “We want it to be a space that the kids don’t want to leave.” Keeping in mind that there are different types of students, there are different types of common spaces: a large area on the ground floor with a connecting outside covered porch, another outdoor porch on the second floor, and a quiet area with books on the third floor.

Will the new building affect the size of our community? Tony McCudden, Director of Admissions, says that the concept of a new Upper School building has not and will not affect admissions at all. He says, “The current upper school student population is close to maximum now and that will not increase much once the building is complete.” So the Upper School will stay about the same size it is now, keeping small class sizes and its sense of community.