Applying Early Decision

Applying Early Decision

Gillian Ford, Staff Writer

Deciding what college you want to go to is both an exciting and stressful time. When you find a college you really like, you may consider applying early decision instead of early action or regular decision. However, some people are hesitant to do so due to the high commitment of applying early decision. After asking two seniors who applied early decision their thoughts on the matter, I learned a lot about why you would want to apply ED. Here are some things to know if you are considering applying early decision.

Students apply early decision for a multitude of different reasons. Maya Carolina, a senior who applied early decision to Denison University, says she applied early decision because “I really love the school…I knew if I applied early decision, I’d have a better chance of getting in.” Senior Hannah Sturges, who applied early decision to Drexel University, claims she did so because “I could really see myself at the school and doing well in the Arts Management program…Drexel matched almost all of the requirements I wanted for a college.” If the college you are looking at has about everything you want, then you should really consider applying early decision, as it would increase your chances of getting in.

As there are with early action and regular decision, there are both pros and cons to applying early decision. For seniors like Maya, the best thing about applying early decision is that “It improves your chances of getting in because it shows the school that you are really interested.” For Hannah, the best part of applying early decision is that “You feel accomplished in finishing everything… I can relax and enjoy the rest of my senior year.”

However, there are negative aspects of applying ED, and to those who may, you should consider all aspects of applying ED. Hannah explains the worst part of applying ED for her, “Sometimes I worry I made the wrong choice… then I remember that feeling comes with change and I know I’m going to have a really good time at Drexel.” Maya stated that the worst thing is “If you don’t get enough money you’re kind of stuck.”

So should you apply early decision? Well, it’s different for everybody, and depends on a number of things including money, likelihood of acceptance, and how much you like the school. Before you apply early decision, you should be sure you really love the school. As Maya said, “If you aren’t 100% sure but you’re leaning towards that school then apply the early decision II date. not all schools have this … the date is usually later so it gives you time to apply early action to other schools.” It is crucial to weigh all your options and really think about a school before you apply early decision, that way, you can ensure that you end up at a school you love.